Attachments can include documents, images, and any other file types that may be required to be saved and linked to a particular case. Any type of file may be added to a case, although only image file types (.jpg, .tif, .bmp, etc.) are able to be viewed and/or annotated within the Imaging pane in LIMS-plus v5. Other file types may be added, but will require that their native application be installed on the workstation in order to open them..
From Main Case View
From within the open case, click on the Attachment tab (1) and then click the Add Case Attachment button (2).
Add Attachments by Browsing the Network
To upload an attachment (or a group of attachments) located on the network:
- Select Upload Attachment (1).
- Click the Browse button (2) to locate images or other files within a network location.
- Add Comments to the attachment(s) by typing into the Comments field (3).
Once the images or other files are added to the list, an Upload button will appear. Click Upload to continue uploading the files.
Add Attachments using Drag and Drop
To add an attachment using the drag and drop feature:
- With the Upload Attachment radio button selected, drag the selected file(s) from an open window or the desktop and drop them into the box (1).
- Click the Upload button (2) to process the file(s).
- To clear the list and start over, click the Clear List button (3).
- When finished, click the Close (4) button.
Add an Attachment by Linking to a URL or a File
To add an attachment by linking to a URL or file:
- Select the Link Attachment radio button (1).
- Enter the link address or URL in the Link to File field (2). This can be a network location or a URL.
- Click the Create Barcode button (3) to generate and print or register a barcode for the linked attachment.
- Click the Add button (4).
- When finished, click the Close button (5).
Access the Attachments
Once an attachment is added to a case:
- It can be viewed in the Imaging pane by clicking on the image name in the grid list. (This only applies to files that are actually image file types. Any other file type will open in its native application, e.g., Microsoft Word, if it is installed on the computer.)
- It can be deleted by clicking on the Delete icon (2).
- The Image History can be viewed by clicking on the View History icon (3).
- The attachment relationships can be edited by clicking on the Edit Relationships/Move icon (4).
Image file types can be viewed in the Imaging Pane. Annotations may be added from the menu on the right. Instructions on working with images are available in another topic.
One of the features of the LIMS-plus v5 application is the Image History feature. This allows users to view any other users who have accessed the image, the date on which the file was accessed, and what actions were performed on the image (e.g., the image was viewed, annotations were added, etc.). The entire history of the image file is also captured, including exactly how the image appeared each time it was accessed (Image Versioning).