Information about the Laboratory must be entered prior to using LIMS-plus v5, but additional Labs can be added by Administrators at any time. Multi-site lab systems will have one Lab entry for each site.
Access the List of Labs
Open the Admin menu and select Lab.
Add a Lab
Click the Add Lab button.
Enter the name of the Lab (1). All other information is optional; the address is entered in the Address box (4) and phone numbers can be added in the Phone box (5). Select either the Imperial Measurement System (2) or Metric.
To map specific disciplines to this Lab, click the Map Lab Discipline button (3) and see the instructions below.
Click Save (6) when finished.
Map Lab Disciplines
From the Add Lab window, click on the Map Lab Discipline button. Available Disciplines will be listed in the Disciplines window; place a checkmark in the checkbox next to the Discipline(s) used in this Lab (1). Click Save (2) when finished to close the Disciplines window and return to the Add Lab window.
Add or Modify Lab Settings
To edit the name, address, telephone, abbreviation, contact person, status, and measurement system of a Lab, click the Edit icon (9) for that Lab on the grid list.
To edit the following properties of an existing Lab, click on the appropriate icon:
- Barcode - Configure the barcode labels used for this Lab.
- Case Numbering - Set the case number mask for this Lab.
- Exhibit Numbering - Set the evidence numbering scheme used by this Lab.
- Instrument - List the instruments available for use within this Lab.
- Kit - Define evidence/request kits that can be used within this Lab.
- Location - List the available storage locations for this Lab.
- Lab Defaults - System default settings for this Lab. These relate mainly to security and file storage.
- Lab Options - Activate or deactivate features of the application.
- Edit - Edit Lab details.
- Deactivate - Deactivate the Lab. A Lab cannot be deleted once it is entered; it can only be edited or deactivated. Deactivate the Lab to remove it from picklists.
For more information on each of these properties, please see the related topics.
Export or Print the List of Labs
To export the list of Labs to HTML or Excel, or to print the list, click on the Export icon.
The list of Labs will appear in HTML format on a separate web page. From there, click the Print button to print the list, or click the Export to Excel button to perform that task. If the Export to Excel feature is used and the user has Excel installed on the computer, there will be an option to open the list in Excel. Otherwise, the file can be saved as an XMLReport.csv file.