LIMS-plus v5 is accessed through an Internet browser such as Internet Explorer (9 or higher), Firefox, Google Chrome, etc. However, there are server components that are required to be installed first. The information below illustrates the prerequisites that are needed before completing the installation of LIMS-plus v5. Please note that these images were captured using Windows Server 2008 R2; screens may appear differently if a different Microsoft operating system is being used.
Install Crystal Reports 10.5 & IIS 6.0 or Greater
Crystal Reports is bundled with the installer for LIMS-plus v5 and will be installed during the LIMS-plus v5 installation process.
Internet Information Services (IIS) 6.0 or greater should be installed prior to installing LIMS-plus v5.
Turn Windows Features On
For the .NET framework, open Windows Features and place checkmarks in all of the checkboxes for Internet Information Services, Internet Information Services Hostable Web Core, and Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1, as shown in the image above.
Automate and Start the ASP.NET State Service
The ASP.NET State Service should be set to Automatic and started. Open the Services window, double-click on ASP.NET State Service, set the Startup Type to Automatic and click the Start button (if it has not already been started).
The following permissions are needed to complete the installation of LIMS-plus v5:
Administrative rights on the application server
Administrative rights on the database instance
SQL Server permissions of CREATE DATABASE, CREATE ANY DATABASE, or ALTER ANY DATABASE
In addition, the IISUser will need these permissions:
Read/write/modify rights to the UserDocs subfolder at c:\inetpub\wwwroot\LIMSplusv5
Read/write rights to the Configuration subfolder at c:\inetpub\wwwroot\LIMSplusv5
IIS Application Server
The LIMS-plus v5 application essentially runs like a website, so the application server needs to be configured to run IIS.
First, open the Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager and double-click on the MIME Types icon in the IIS section (in the center window frame). Confirm the following three extensions are included and add them if necessary:
- .xaml - application/xaml+xml
- .xap - application/x-silverlight-app
- .xbap - application/x-ms-xbap
Keep the IIS Manager window open for additional tasks described below.
Confirm Server Manager Role for Web Server (IIS) Support
From the Server Manager Roles, in Application Server Role Services, make sure the server has the role service for Web Server (IIS) Support installed.
Confirm IIS 6 Compatibility is Enabled
From the Server Manager Roles, in Web Server (IIS) Role Services, make sure IIS 6 Management Compatibility is installed.
Create Three Application Pools
When the LIMS-plus v5 installer is run, specific application pools need to be selected. These application pools cannot be created from within the installer, so they will be created here.
Follow these instructions:
- From within Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager, select Application Pools for the server.
- Select Add Application Pool from Actions.
- In the Add Application Pool dialog box, enter "LIMSservices" as the name for the application pool (this will be used for installing the Web Services).
- In the .NET Framework version, select .NET Framework v2.
- In the Managed pipeline mode, select Integrated.
- Check the Start application pool immediately checkbox, and then click OK to close the Add Application Pool window.
- From the application pool list, select the one just created, then click on Advanced Settings under Edit Application Pool on the right side.
- In the Advanced Settings window, set Enable 32-Bit Applications to True.
- Click the OK button to close the Advanced Settings window.
- Follow the above nine steps to create a second application pool and name it "LIMSplusv5" - this will be used for installing the LIMS-plus v5 application.
- Follow the first nine steps again to create a third application pool, naming it "CIMM" - this will be used for installing CIMM.
Application pools promote stability of a website. See the Microsoft Reference on IIS Application Pools for more information.
Microsoft SQL Server 2008 or Greater Database Instance
To create the LIMS-plus v5 database, administrative rights are required on the database instance that will be used. The LIMS-plus v5 installer will attempt to create the database in the specified instance.
See the Microsoft Reference on SQL Server for additional information.