Picklists are customized drop-down menus and lists that set the values that are used throughout the ChainLinx application. Demographic picklists include lists of cities, counties, states, countries, races, suffixes, titles, individual types, and transfer via methods (such as mail, FedEx, UPS, etc.).
Access Demographic Picklists
To access demographic picklists, either click on the Demographic Picklist link (1) in the Admin section of the Quicklist and then click on a specific picklist type on the Demographic Picklist screen (2) or expand the Demographic Picklist subsection of the Quicklist (1) and click on one of the specific picklists listed in the Quicklist.
Add Picklist Values
The available picklists to add values to are:
- City - Cities are used in several ChainLinx segments referring to address or other locations.
- County - Counties are used in several ChainLinx segments regarding addresses.
- Country - Countries are used in ChainLinx where addresses and other locations are listed.
- Individual Type - Individuals can be categorized by types in ChainLinx, such as Suspect or Witness.
- Race - An Individual's race may be recorded as part of a Warrant in ChainLinx.
- State - States are used in several ChainLinx segments related to addresses or other locations.
- Suffix - Suffixes are notations that appear after a person's name, such as Jr. or III.
- Title - A title is a notation that appears at the start of a person's name, such as Dr. or Mrs.
- Transfer Via - When performing Evidence transfers, users have the option of recording which delivery method was used in the transfer, such as mail, UPS, FedEx, etc.
All of the picklists work in the same manner, so only one will be shown in the images.
To add a new value, click the Add [picklist name] button (1). A new section will appear at the bottom of the screen (2) where new values can be added. In cases where more information is needed, such as where a state is needed for adding cities and counties, a drop-down list will appear. Note that additional states may need to be added prior to adding cities and counties for that state because the available State values in the drop-down list are based on the available State picklist values.
After selecting information (if applicable) and adding the new picklist value, click OK to save it and return to the picklist's Master screen. Click Clear to empty the fields and start over. Click Cancel to stop adding picklist values and return to the picklist's Master screen.
Special notes about individual demographic picklists:
- At least one state must be entered before the first city. In addition, the state in which the new city is located must also be entered prior to adding the city picklist value.
- At least one state must be entered before the first county. In addition, the state in which the new county is located must also be entered prior to adding the county picklist value.
- At least one country must be entered before the first state is added.
Delete Picklist Values
To delete a picklist value, click on the Delete icon associated with the picklist value on that picklist's Master screen. Be careful not to delete states or countries that are associated with cities, counties, and/or states already used in Warrants.
After clicking the Delete icon, a confirmation dialog box will appear. Click Yes to proceed with the deletion or No to cancel the deletion and return to the picklist's Master screen.
Edit Picklist Values
To edit a picklist value, click the Edit (pencil) icon associated with the picklist value in the list. Make the changes as needed and click the OK button. Click Clear to clear the fields and start over; click Cancel to exit without saving and return to the picklist's Master screen.
Note: If a picklist value cannot be edited (e.g., it is grayed out and not accessible), it is already used in one or more Warrants in ChainLinx.