Originally from ticket #20674.
Bob called in stating that one part of their report is missing. The results section is completely missing when viewed on screen or printed. Cust states that user was supposed to be creating a general analysis report. We connected with gotomeeting, then we viewed crystal reports. It was set to repress the subsection of the report if "results" was not active. The report looked like it was fine. The end result was that we showed him that the module he was using for the request was the serology analytics section. We went to system administration>>departments>> then edited the service, found that the module for analysis was incorrect. Once we changed it here and then went back to the request and viewed the report - everything showed up correctly.